What is a Missionary
heart of Christianity is missions. The
word “missionary” in Latin is the same word “Apostle” in Greek which means “one
sent, or sent forth.” “Apostle” when
applied to those other than the disciples of Jesus Christ translates to mean
“messenger” or “missionary.” So – “the
Missionary” is one called by God, obedient to the command of the risen
land, endowed by the spirit of Christ, and sent forth to serve. The Christian missionary will have the right spirit,
attitude, behavior, and character; must be fully equipped, prayed up, and
filled up to do the will of Christ. To have a missionaries heart means to: “Let this mind be in (us) you which
was also in Christ Jesus” (Phil 2:5).
To focus on Jesus Christ in all that we do and say In our relationships with each other and with mankind. The vision encompasses a commitment to be faithful in our service and compassionate in our communications and actions toward others.
To share the Gospel in worship services at local care centers for the elderly; visiting individuals who are sick and shut-in; delivering gifts where needed during the thanksgiving and Christmas seasons; participating in activities of other ministries at FBCM; supporting the Baptist general convention, foreign missions; and other related ministries.
Utilize congregation’s skills, passions, and spiritual gifts to focus on meeting the needs of our members and the larger community by:
- Continue to participate in or lead annual missions both here and abroad as a congregation or as a cluster
- Strengthen visits to selected nursing homes and to members who are hospitalized or shut-in
- Support church sponsored mission initiatives
- Initiate or joining at least one local mission project in the Merrifield/Falls Church area each year
- Establish mission education for all age groups and opportunities for hands-on involvement
President: Sister Joyce Bellamy
Vice President: Sister Kiralfy Forte
Secretary: Sister Jane Marshall
Assistant: Sister Pier Connors
Treasurer: Sister Pauline Young
Chaplain: Rev. Hellen Davis
Correspondence Secretary: Sister Brenda Collins
Meeting Times: Every Third Saturday of each month at 12:30
Other monthly activities include but are not limited to:
- Nursing Home visits (Visits to nursing homes - every third Saturday at 10:30)
- Hospital and home visits to our sick and shut in—offering support with daily living needs, transportation, ministry and spiritual support.
- Assisting with Feeding the homeless Partnering with other FBCM ministries, i.e., Women’s Ministry, Deaconess Ministry and others.
- Attending Baptist General Convention and Women’s Division meetings and workshops.
- Supporting the activities of the FBCM Junior Missionaries.
- Supporting Missionary Ministries of sister churches
Need Missionary Support
Contact FBCM Church Office, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 560-3247